Other than the salary, what would you check in your employment contract before joining the company? One of those could be welfare benefits; could be Statutory Welfare and/or Non-statutory Welfare benefits. However, what types of benefits are there?DON'T WORRY! In this article we will explain and give you tips on how to do job hunting; as well as some helpful tips to live in Japan. Be a Jimoto-min aka jimomin, a local with us!
Types of Non-statutory welfare benefits in Japan
Non-statutory benefits, such as housing allowances and commuting allowances, can be determined by companies at their own discretion as they are not legally mandated to provide. There are various types of non-statutory welfare benefits, and the amount varies depending on the company; it will be one of the criteria when choosing a place of employment.
Few of the basic non-statutory welfare benefits would be as follows:
- Housing Allowance (在宅手当): Provides a certain percentage of your rent
- Transportation Cost （交通費: Provides all or a certain amount of of your transportation cost to your workplace
- Family Allowance （家族手当）: Provided to employees with family members such as spouses and children
- Retirement Money （退職金制度）: When an employee retires, an amount is paid according to the employee's performance.
- Savings （財形貯蓄制度）: Savings that can be accumulated automatically through deductions from wages and bonuses.
There are non-statutory welfare benefits which are not directly related to monetary aids:
- Recreation events (レクリエーション): Events and trips sponsored by the company which aims to strengthen the bond between employees
- Work environment (職場環境): This could be in forms of having a vending machine, a small napping place, etc
- Personal development (自己啓発): To develop a person's capabilities and potential; company can sponsor the expense so that the employee can skillup
Welfare benefits from jimomin job information
In jimomin.work we have quite interesting non-statutory welfare benefits as well. Let’s have a look at it!
|Non-statutory welfare benefits
|Job Position URL
|Rent assistance and housingRecommendations will be provided
|Food/daily necessities & Wholesale/retail
|Subsidies for gym and sports activitiesSupport for acquiring qualifications
|Register to know more!
|Subsidy for remote work
|Office LibrarySubsidy for IT equipment
|Register to know more!
Welfare benefits can also be one of the factors when choosing a company. It can help us in comparing the pros and cons between companies when choosing as well. Likewise if you have a specific welfare benefit you would like to have, then choosing a company based on that can be a way to narrow down job prospects.
How can we help you!
In jimomin.work, we offer career counselling where you can discuss your problems and understand what sort of jobs you want to do.
We aim to spread awareness and give tips and information which are not taught in school or universities. Changing residence card, what is an Entry sheet, how to reserve a moving company; we cover all sorts of topics.
Not sure what kind of job you want to do in Japan? Add us on LINE and reserve a consultation
Tell us what you want to know more about via LINE as well!